Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Blue Light District

I know I've said this before but it really means so much to me that I don't mind being repetitive.

The thing I love the most about being an avid photographer is how it changes and develops the way I see everything. I compose scenes as I wait for a traffic light to change. I see color in new ways. I appreciate peeks and splashes of color that others might not even notice.

These 2 shots are a perfect example. I was parked across the road from a small park. Nothing remarkable about my immediate view of the park - just lots of trees and bushes. Nothing remarkable about where I was parked - just asphalt and a fence.

Then I noticed ...




you can click to enlarge either photo. if you enlarge the top shot you'll notice a wee bit of blue from the base of the lamp post peeking out thru the bushes. I know it may sound sappy but a detail like that really touches me.

Since I'm being all gooshy mushy anyway I'll share with you all how photography helps battle depression and anxiety - it takes you out of yourself and into the shot you're composing. It helps with chronic pain because you get to focus out and away from yourself. Anyone can do it - all you need is your eyes, one finger to hit the button with and any level of camera.

My final bit of schmaltz is that I am so pleased that MID WEEK BLUES has grown. When JIM suggested I join there was usually 3 or 4 people posting each week. Now it's double digits.

Rebecca is a lovely host and an inspiring photographer and I hope MID WEEK BLUES continues to grow.

13 comments:

Carletta said...

A little pop of color in all that green! Love the framing of the first shot. You do seem to get quite a few interesting images taken from from the seat of your vehicle - you indeed have a good eye for finding 'the shot'.
It's funny how memes stretch our awareness of our surroundings. I'm enjoying finding the blues in my world. It is good to see more people joining in. Much deserved kind words you give Rebecca.

Carol said...

I like everything about this post! Your words are so true! And your two photos are such a good capture. Beauty is everywhere....

Victoria said...

Goregous ...I love everything in this beautiful scenery to.wonderful shots...the more ou look the more beuaty to see!

I am happy it brings you do much JOY! yay!
and so cool for midweek blues..I'll have to play soon!
Kiki~

Kim, USA said...

I too since I got my own camera, I see things people don't notice. Sometimes they think what are we taking photos at? ^_^ One thing that I discovered to sometimes the least that you expect turns to be the very best one. Happy Wednesday!
Blue water

Kathy said...

What a nice post! Lamp post and blog post!

Heather said...

I totally agree with you thoughts on photography and how we see the world through our camera. Also, with the anxiety and depression...so true!

I, also, was one who shared in Midweek Blues when it first began....good to see it grow :)

jabblog said...

Photography really does open up the world. Love your blue lamp :-)

Daryl said...

So true .. and excellent advice .. I think that blue street lamp is groovy and definitely adds to the composition!

Anonymous said...

I agree. Great post and great photos!

bichonpawz said...

I can totally relate to what you have said!!! I am a photography freak!!! I take pictures of everything ALL the time! Drives my husband nuts!!

Love the blues mixed with the greens here...very, very nice!!

Hootin Anni said...

Simply gorgeous. The blue is so vivid against the greenery too.

Thanks for visiting and leaving a great comment on my photo blog!

Love Letters in the Sand

Rambling Woods said...

I agree with you totally about photography... I am happy outside taking photos...how simple..wish I had discovered it years ago.. it might have helped through some difficult periods in my life...Michelle

Suburban Girl said...

Awww, shucks! Thanks for the encouragement. MWBs has really blossomed recently. So thankful for the old faithful friends who hung in there with me!

I agree with you comments about photography and getting a thrill from those little details too.