Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday Duo: Blues and Views

I visited FORT HANCOCK last week. Located at Sandy Hook, NJ and part of the Gateway National Park the fort has many old abandoned buildings that offer a treasure trove of photo possibilities.



This building had large garage doors so I'm assuming it was for washing vehicles although I did a kick out of picturing rows and rows of washing machines and dryers in there.

Further down the road I found a small building that was really nothing much to look at, just a small dilapidated structure that might have been a home for the lowest rank soldier on the base.

I was about to pass it by when a strange yet wonderful sound came from one of the windows ...



That stretch of rusted wire was moving in the wind and the medallion type object at the end of it was making a weak whistling sound.

I like to think that as it fell apart the little building decided to decorate itself and create a way to capture the attention of someone like me.

I'll be posting more shots from the fort and the area around it and Sandy Hook Lighthouse.

MID WEEK BLUES

WINDOW VIEWS

15 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This post and the one below make me wish you had sound! But you described both so well I can almost hear them.

I've noted the National Park on my ever-growing list of things I hope to see if/when we get to travel a bit later on this summer.

Daryl said...

Clever building whistling at a sharp broad like you!

EG CameraGirl said...

Ah, thinking doors with creative minds. :) Love your imagination, Dianne!

Carletta said...

I love the cracking peeling paint.
I watch too many ghost hunter shows on TV - the sound would have freaked me out. :)

Carol said...

Nice shots...and creative also.

Suburban Girl said...

Oh goody, can't wait to see more. I think the sound of the rusted wire would have scared me.

gigi said...

Wow, way to combine two in one posts. Great photo's.

Annie Bear said...

Oh, neat! I love old buildings! I like the way you captured that second building. I can just imagine the sound that wire made.

LadyFi said...

What a great find... I like exploring old buildings.

Martha Z said...

It looks like a fun place for the photographer. The peeling paint caught my eye, too.

Anonymous said...

Very creative indeed.

Debbie said...

What great photos and commentary. I bet that sound was awesome.

Unknown said...

the second photo really tells a story.

Unknown said...

interesting finds. love the washing letters it bright blue!

Annelie said...

Ooooo, I love the colurs!
And thank´s for your comment on my blog! *LOL*